PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2010, 07:54
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In true 'wet blanket' mode, I am minded to quote (from Wikipedia) from William Chillingworth's Religion of Protestants.[5], where he accuses unnamed scholastics of debating " Whether a Million of Angels may not fit upon a needles point?"

Much as I am in awe of mm's invaluable contributions elsewhere on this thread, I cannot believe we are down to surmising how many g (to one decimal point indeed) were experienced at impact. Only those who have had 'hands on' those bits of metal and plastic, and, sadly bodies, will have a 'feel' for what happened. High speed wing down/bottoming out, ripping the fin off at high forward g (causing the belt injuries), low speed vertical, flat spin - all supposition. Indeed, despite the language issues, the deceleration COULD have even been 36g as well as the part number! It is all very interesting and extremely clever but it doesn't really move anything forward. Far more important is to identify what went wrong at cruise altitude, examine the software interactions involved and correct any deficiencies. If/when more bits/recorders are located we move on to the detail of the impact. This really should be the thrust of this thread - in my opinion.

Maybe a thread split (mods?) is called for so we can focus more clearly on the progress of the search (as per title) as opposed to hypotheses on just one part of the accident.