PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAA
Thread: RAA
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2010, 07:15
onemore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not surprised there are differing interpretations because I bet when the founders of RAA got together with CASA to reduce the regs and introduce a RECREATIONAL flying category they never imagined that a few years later a bunch of people would try to remove the RECREATION component and set up commercial operations under a RECREATIONAL tag

Never been able to understand the little bits like: Do the GA CASA tests while you get your RECREATION licence. For example when you do your RECREATION licence theory tests shouldn't your answer to Pilot Maintenance refers to the RAA regs and not CASA. So how is that catered for by doing the GA exams.

As for the RA debates about whether or not they should carry radios and other technology, well its about time the term RECREATION was reintroduced. Its about flying from non towered on radio airfields, below 5000ft and staying outside Class A, B, C, D, E airspace. Having fun in cheaper, lighter sportier aircraft without the rules.

RECREATION flying schools should teach pilots how to be part of the RECREATION flying environment

The real problem is that a lot of GA schools will fold because they cant compete with the RECREATIONAL low start up costs - so what happens when all these RAA students go to continue on to CPLs and further when there are not the schools to teach it. The Industry should put some investment back in to the GA schools and help them financially to keep the breeding ground going, and RECREATION should get back to its roots

Off my soapbox now
Yes I do hold GA and RAA tickets, but I am so over the dumb path RECREATION is dragging itself down

Last edited by onemore; 14th Mar 2010 at 01:19.