PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB Report: Glass cockpits have not led to expected safety improvements
Old 13th Mar 2010, 06:22
ExSp33db1rd

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
.......but it does require a little more emphasis on basic airmanship that was not previously required
Disagree there, basic airmanship was always a first requirement, but I think it might need a greater 'understanding' of why various bits of information are being presented, and where to look for that information when one needs it, e.g. you need to know speed, height, heading, engine parameters etc., and it was probably easier to assimilate all that when one had direct hands-on control over all the variable factors, rather than just sitting watching the computer do it all and wondering why it's doing that now !!

Starting your career in a glass cockpit must be quite an experience.
Not sure, after all they have nothing to compare it to, and are being taught how to use the tools they will use for the rest of their lives, so will probably build from the bottom up and think nothing of it.

I started to fly with a bunch who had previously flown Tiger Moths, and they were sh*t scared of the prospect of flying the Harvard - our ab initio trainer - whereas I was an Innocent Abroad, it was an aeroplane, wasn't it, and weren't we going to be taught to fly it ? Of course they solo'd sooner than me, they had some basic handling experience - and airmanship - that surprise, surprise translated to handling the Harvard, just another aeroplane.

I recall another Nav. instructor telling me that I'd never make a navigator until I'd been over Berlin with the shells coming throught the cockpit whilst I tried to work out the wind velocity by flying three headings 120 deg. apart and assessing the drift on each leg through the drift sight ! I never had to,but years later I despaired of my own students attempts to use the sextant to navigate across the Atlantic, but they never had to, by the time they were ready to join the line, INS had come along.

Later on, teaching young co-pilots who had experience of Flight Simulator, a colleague remarked that whereas they could fly an instrument approach to minima better than we ever could ( maybe ! ) they had trouble breaking out and connecting the real aeroplane to the real World, whereas the old (but considerably younger than I am now ! ) W.W. II bomber pilots that we started our airline career with couldn't fly an ILS to save their lives ( well, some of them ! ) and yet drop out of cloud too high, too fast, not configured and say "The runway is over there - Sir " they would straighten out and fly an immaculate visual approach and touchdown - even with a tail-dragger.

It's Horses for Courses, each generation have their own mountains to climb.