PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SFT No longer???
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2001, 01:16
Send Clowns

Jet Blast Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
News from the Front (well, from the Horns Inn and Andy's house)

Sorry to hear about those guys that have lost more than I have (a job and some money, as they still owe me some training).

However, Midland Maniac is right there are promising signs for a purchase. Unlike PPSC, SFT have some worthwhile assets and have maintained the goodwill of many students. Partly this is because SFT have not banked any checks for a while (not sure how long, about 10 days), so there is less feeling that "they knew it was going to happen, still took the money". Partly it is because the MD was there to tell students, a sign of the existing goodwill between students, staff and management. Partly it is because staff liked the management - were occasionally in disagreement, but basically did not have the antipathy toward senior management shown in some recently-deceasd organisations, that split the team as soon as the company had problems. SFT's team is still together, pulling for the business.

In a show of loyalty today from both sides there is an attempt in progress to keep the groundschool running until various courses can sit exams or at least arrange alternative instruction. If this comes off then the bills to keep groundschool running will be paid by students and the instructors will work for free for three weeks. Most of the instructors (I included, and I was already redundant last Wednesday) have already agreed to work for nothing.

This has various advantages beyond the obvious help for the students involved to complete courses. It keeps part of the company operating. It keeps student goodwill, and more of SFT's good name. It proves staff and student loyalty to the company. All of these will help towards our ultimate aim : sale of the business.

We, the staff of SFT Aviation have faith in what can be done with the company. The company has a good name, never had the problems of certain other FTOs. The problem is of cash flow, and that is being worked on now by a dedicated team of administrators and directors. When this is sorted we will be the same organisation, with I hope much the same team. As a student and then an instructor I felt that the instructors at SFT are the best team I have ever worked with, and though it may have to be slimmed down, it will still be a great training organisation. Please no dragging the company's name through the dirt, no wild speculation. Wait and see : if the money comes through, which we all expect to happen, SFT will keep up their reputation as perhaps the best flight training provider in the UK.

Thank you for your patience and forbearance.