PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2010, 22:34
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Optimistic
The deceleration was sufficient to disrupt the metal structure. As one part of a structure gets contact (eg bottom part of lightweight galley 'box') a deceleration/compression wave transmits through the body and it is this wave which slows the rest of the structure. So the thin walls and weak joints of the galley have to transmit a force of the order of the mass of (the yet-to-be-slowed) galley panels times 'x' g, whatever 'x' was. If this force exceeds the strength of the material, or the joints, they will fail.
I think you described "shredded airplane" for a plane that is largely composite materials. If that is so consider the shredding to the way the various galley carts and other items, including bodies, exited the plane. The scenario is more like the plane vanished from around the contents.

The postulated angle of attack, however, suggests the whole thing flopped down onto the ocean with very little time, milliseconds, between tail hitting and the rest of the plane hitting.

That, of course, is predicated upon my memory of discussions here indicating that AF447 was largely built of composites which fracture and shred rather than bend, stretch, and then tear.