PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stapleford Flight centre
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2010, 18:14
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some fascinating comments. It doesn’t sound like the place has changed much since I last flew there (2007), and there’s not much I’d disagree with.

On the plus side, Stapleford has a long history of producing airline pilots and, IMHO, a deserved reputation for decent quality training. They are also cheaper than many alternatives, and the DA42s are an attraction if glass screens float your boat. They would certainly be well worth considering.

However, - and this is particularly relevant for commercial training - Stapleford aerodrome is an A/G radio field, in uncontrolled airspace, with no instrument approaches. It gets extremely muddy in winter, and if your Seneca or Diamond goes off the end of the tarmac bit, it’ll take ages to dig you out (have seen it happen). Bear in mind as well that the IRT has to be done at Cranfield. Compare and contrast with Bournemouth (I ended up going to PAT) which is class D airspace, with radar facilities, ILS and NDB approaches at both ends of the runway, and CAA examiners on-site. I felt that environment was more beneficial for someone aiming for an airline job, and my view hasn’t changed since then.

Less important, but still a consideration, is the ‘feel’ of the place. It’s certainly not the friendliest place I’ve ever been, which was an issue for me – bearing in mind the amount of money I was about to spend. I didn’t want sunshine blown up my behind or a group hug every morning, but I too have heard the HoT describe another student as a c***, which - in full earshot of anyone in reception - I felt was unprofessional. And for what it’s worth, I have never heard a TRE/TRI or indeed any trainer at my airline talk about anyone in those terms. Personally, I don’t think it’s big or clever.

Still, horses for courses, and I still say it’s a decent school.