PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stapleford Flight centre
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2010, 16:34
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stapleford testimonies

Each person's experience of a particular place will certainly differ as time progresses. I finished up at SFC in May 2007 and felt that I passed through their doors at a time when things were riding high. By and large, there were a group of individuals (both instructors and commercial students) who were a fairly tight group. There was certainly a positive atmosphere about the place, people worked hard and achieved results. I for one formed a lot of firm relationships at SFC and often reminisce upon fond memories. Even Colin brings a smile to my face when I look back at it!

To me Stapleford was what it was. There was no bullsh1t, hidden agenda or earth shattering promises. You worked hard at your flying, you made your mistakes along the way, you corrected them with the aid of some very good instructing. You sat the skills test, you passed. With CD at the helm, no prisoners were taken. In order to reap everything that SFC could offer you needed to take your training seriously. I watched a few guys piss about and Colin et.al duly let them. We were all adults at the end of the day and it was all down to the individual. People weren't only in the receiving end of flight training lessons, but also lessons on how a life in aviation would treat you.
If you couldn't stand up to a bit of blunt treatment or a few choice words at SFC then how were you going to cope on the line? I've been flying commercially for two years now and if you get the impression that this is a touchy feely environment where people's feelings are the forefront of everything, then please don't give up that day job!

Nearly three years have passed since I left and I hope that the old place is, by and large, still promoting the same culture. It won't be everyones cup of tea and if you want a bit of flash and glamour to your FTO with some ego caressing when you feel needy, then I would rethink. I sought a place with a reputation for getting results. I felt I got that, as did many others who i trained with at the time.

Last edited by Callsign Kilo; 13th Mar 2010 at 16:45.