PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SFT No longer???
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2001, 04:32
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TF,
the thread you refer to was closed mainly because of the somewhat-bad tempered (but legally relevant) spat between the Silver Fox and myself, although it wasn't me that closed it. However, the point was made in that thread and others that speculation about FTOs, especially without supporting evidence, could have a direct negative and unjustified effect on those FTOs. We at Pprune, of course, didn't want to be the cause of any such effects, and we saw and heard no evidence to support the speculation.
You and others may have had evidence at the time, but you didn't (as far as I know) present it here (or directly to the Moderators), so we couldn't really support the allegations by continuing the thread. We had no grounds for warning people off SFT, and we could have been in deep legal doo-doo if we'd been seen to be unjustifiably casting aspertions on an ostensibly-healthy company.
Even now, I've seen no evidence that SFT was in any trouble in August (although that doesn't mean there isn't any such evidence), and it would seem to me that their demise is closely related to events in the market since 9/11 - which, of course, hadn't happened at the time of the original discussion.
At the end of the day, it's quite a difficult judgement call as to whether 'rumours' are actually damaging speculation, and you'll have to forgive us if we err on the side of caution.