PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2010, 14:37
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich was operated 6 x weekly for about eight years, ending in 2007 when Flybe took over BACon and pulled the plug on all the BACon Bristol routes, much to the well-documented surprise of the airport management.

I can't remember whether the BA franchisee was Brymon or BACitiexpress when the MUC started - it certainly progressed through BACx to BACon.

easyJet never did MUC from BRS.

I remember that in the early 1980s Thomson/Britannia used to operate their summer Lakes and Mountains Austrian holidays to MUC from BRS. We used the route once for a holiday around 1983 with a Britannia Boeing 737-200 followed by a two-hour coach trip to St Wolfgang.

For all its scheduled routes to France, Poland, Spain and Italy there is a surprising lack of destinations to Germany (Berlin and Bremen, the latter a niche route) and none to Scandinavia (Oslo and Stockholm apparently did well when operated as summer-only but fell victim to the downsizing of SAS, and easyJet's Copenhagen also had good passenger numbers but was axed when the Danish government imposed a £7 per passenger tax).

LH's FRA carried over 90,000 passengers in the year it operated and I know the airport was gobsmacked when LH pulled it.

There is another new German route starting soon from South West Britain - Flybe's 3 x weekly service to Hannover from Exeter although it will route via Newcastle. Ironically, Hannover is one of Bristol's twin cities, though two of the others, Bordeaux and Porto, do have easyJet and Ryanair connections respectively.

baby ran MUC from CWL for a year or two in its early days.

I flew out of BRS on Wednesday morning and was pleasantly surprised about the short time it took to transit security in the busy period.

I think though that the airport has gone too far in the number of retail and eating outlets it has allowed to be set up in areas of the departure lounge that formerly contained seating for passengers awaiting their flights.

We sat ourselves down in one of the restaurant areas - plenty of seats in those areas - but didn't want to eat as we had breakfast before leaving. We did buy tea and coffee but I wonder if we would have been turned out had we not done so.