PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shetland / Western Isles trip
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2010, 13:56
VMC-on-top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shetland / Western Isles trip

I was inspired by the article in this months Flyer (or was it Pilot) mag about the trip to Unst and over to Barra etc so thought I would suggest it to a few mates who would be up for doing something like that in a PA28-161.

I've got takers but then mentioned it to a mate of mine who now flies for EZY. He used to fly for Logan Air so have flown into Unst a few times and prior to that, instructed on PA28's. His view on a trip like that was "are you completely MAD?". Well, I think I can say that I'm not but I like adventure and this would be something that I don't think i would repeat regularly but it would be a great adventure? With experience flying round the Shetlands etc. he says that there are few days where the weather can be that good - and with the likes of Barra, the condition of the beach can vary quite dramatically -added to which, there is the salt / sand corrosion issue too (albeit a relatively minor consideration).

So, do other SEP owners / pilots agree with his sentiment and is doing a trip like that just ridiculous, dangerous or plain stupid? For info, we've got life vests, life raft and PLB.