PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of training in Florida?
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2010, 13:32
Florida Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok - so technically and legally, we can persue a Floridian flight school should we find ourselves in a situation whereby we need to persue the matter in the courts.

The only thing, although there is nothing legally stopping us from doing so, taking a Floridan flight school is complicated and expensive, so much so that I am yet to find a single account of anyone bringing the matter to court, notwithstanding the fact whether they were successful or not?

Or am I over simplifying??
spicejetter, it can be complicated but does not have to be. I posted this in another thread.

Foreign plaintiffs have the same rights but are at great disadvantage in suing domestic defendants. For lawsuit were the amount to be recovered is over $5.000, beside the cost of representation these suits can last years. A US defendant may purposely delay and slow down the legal process so to cause extra expenses on the foreign plaintiff.

On the other hand in Florida if the claim is for less than $5.000, a plaintiff can use the “Small Claim Court” system. It is much faster, simpler and no attorney are allowed. This system is rarely used by foreigner simply because when they feel wronged the first thing they do is contact an attorney. Attorneys are unlikely to recommend small claim since there is no money in it for them.

I also posted some information on the Small Claim Court process.

Any courthouse will have the forms needed to file your small claim. I think the fee is $175.00

Here are the rules of procedure for Small Claim Court

http://www.floridabar.org/TFB/TFBRes...df?openelement

Here are good information on the Small Claim process (info provided by the 8th Judicial Circuit Court)
Pro Se Small Claims Court
Anyone thinking about going to a flight school in Florida should do some extensive research (Same goes for any other States)

The better business bureau should be a good start!

United States and Canada BBB Consumer and Business Reviews, Reports, Ratings, Complaints and Accredited Business Listings

Search the online archives of the local paper Florida Newspapers - Florida Newspaper List

Search the county clerk of court website (lawsuits, liens etc.) Clerks of Court

Search the Florida Division of Corporation website (find out who the officers / directors / agents of the schools are). www.sunbiz.org - Document Searches

Before filling a lawsuit, I would contact the Florida General Attorney's Office (Consumer Protection) Florida Attorney General - Consumer Protection and the local media (some have investigative reporters).

I would not file suit before having exausted all means to resolve the problem out of court.

Remember information is power!

Last edited by Florida Pilot; 12th Mar 2010 at 16:30.