PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB Report: Glass cockpits have not led to expected safety improvements
Old 12th Mar 2010, 11:01
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone considered the relevance of the TYPE of A/craft fitted with Glass?

I would hazard a guess that the "new tech" is predominantly fitted to airframes of the same ilk, IE, modern, slippery composites, far less forgiving than the stodgy spam-cans of yore.
I would not consider training on anything other than analogue instruments,for the same reason I prefer printed manuals to a CD version.

The book is intuitive,-once you know the layout, it's easy to open in the right area and flip between sections.....cycling around through ~600 pages of PDF's and then not being able to read the whole page without scrolling around,is a real ballache. Steam-gauges are simple,intuitive and stand-alone (agreed, superimposed "glass" instruments do have their place.) IMHO, Glass is the sort of environment best-suited to day-in day-out usage and the familiarity that comes with daily intensive use......the GA pilot in the UK, at least, does not fly enough to develop that intimate knowledge of the glass environment that results in instinctive button-pushing of the correct sequence.

I can play with a computer at home, Cockpit instrumentation should be clear, unambiguous and immediately visible -motor-cars have not adopted digital-panels as mainstream,despite the mass-market and the relatively high-intensity use they get.

I'm not a Luddite,but a lot of the argument for glass seems to be "technology for it's own sake" I'm with the others who think a lot of glass adopters have abilities which don't match their purchasing capacity.