PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Initial Approach Fixes, FAFs and a rant!
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2010, 22:01
bfisk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can help you with the ICAO definition of "Approach Procedure" according to "From Takeoff to Landing: design criteria for instrument flight procedures" (Åkerlind 1994):

[i]A series of predetermined manoeuvers by reference to flight instruments with specified protection from obstacles from the initial approach fix, or where applicable, from the beginning of a defined arrival route[/b] to a point to which a landing can be completed and there-after, if a landing is not completed, to a postion at which holding or en-route obstable clearance critera apply.[i] (my bold)

According to the same book, which explains PANS-OPS, [i]an approach procedure is divided into maximum five segments, when possible each segment beginning and ending at a fix. However, only those segments required by local conditions are included in the procedure[i] (again my bold)

And I fully buy your checkers ILS argument. Yes, there might be an IAP for that airfield that you would go to, but not nescesarily for that specific approach. Without having any of my plates here, I believe I somewhere, sometime saw some ILS approaches to a big airport with pretty much only the ILS symbol drawn in, the initial missed approach going straight ahead and some big writing saying "expect vectors to final" or something to that effect, but I stand to be corrected on that one.