PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2010, 20:55
Mr Optimistic

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
JD-EE

Thanks: didn't see that (it is easy to get confused when every argument dips, twirls and returns ).

Well, say the a/c struck the sea at a significant vertical speed.

The deceleration was sufficient to disrupt the metal structure. As one part of a structure gets contact (eg bottom part of lightweight galley 'box') a deceleration/compression wave transmits through the body and it is this wave which slows the rest of the structure. So the thin walls and weak joints of the galley have to transmit a force of the order of the mass of (the yet-to-be-slowed) galley panels times 'x' g, whatever 'x' was. If this force exceeds the strength of the material, or the joints, they will fail.

Now I don't know what the impact speed was or the time to rest (ie to find x) but it was sufficient to disrupt the VS at least. Seems odd the VS couldn't stand it but the galley structure could !

The galley and some other recovered pieces (eg the panel section with jump seats) are interesting witnesses. I wonder if any testing is going on to reverse engineer the impact conditions. If a number of the galley units were dropped at various orientations over water from say 40 feet (~30mph by my rough calc) it would be informative to see the deformations. Then increase in 40 ft increments until a match.

The absence of evidence of secondary impacts or crushing, the remaining integrity of the weak right angle joints, the large panel section with jump seats still intact, don't look consistent with a high speed vertical catastrophic impact. Partially distributed load from fore-aft deceleration maybe but not smashing vertically downwards. Doesn't immediately suggest 'non survivable impact' either. If other evidence (eg medical) suggests otherwise it just adds to the whole puzzle.

Last edited by Mr Optimistic; 11th Mar 2010 at 21:41. Reason: amplification to add to the confusion