PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL for deaf or hearing-impaired people?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2002, 10:59
Ralf-Saarland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL for deaf or hearing-impaired people?

Hello, I `m from Germany (43) and not totally deaf, but have two strong hearing aids, but can cope well with life. Maybe I could understand an ATC with a clear pronounciation because you have standardized messages on air but that is not sure to be honest.
Of course I realize it could have catastrophic consequences if a deaf pilot does not understand a message properly.
There is the web-site of International Deaf Pilots Association (IDPA). They tell you, a deaf or hearing-impaired person can obtain a PPL in the US and fly, because there are many areas without air control (still true after 9-11??).
One important test they have to pass is the awareness of a plane`s pre-stall movements, i.e. whether their equilibrity organ works properly. (I think mine does but I did not visit a flight doctor yet, for fear of being ridiculed as e deaf person.)

My question: Deaf flying in the US is too expensive for an European. What about GB and France? Is it true that France still allows deaf private pilots on ultra-light planes? I really heard rumours that there exists special equipment using visual signs.
Are there areas without control in great Britain thus giving way for deaf British private pilots? Or is there any other way for a deaf to learn to fly a motorplane? (Sorry, I`m not interested in gliders.)
Thank you very much for any help or informations. (Btw: Some countries are very ingenuous in helping their handicapped )Greetings Ralf Maier