PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seaplane Rating-advice please
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2010, 15:15
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope you do some float flying.

Sadly you will find the opportunities in the UK to use the rating are very limited. People like Neil own thier own aircraft, they only have one and understandably even if you have the rating are reluctant to allow self fly hire. Moroever I think float flying is even more of a rating to learn than a PPL. With a PPL you should be safe enough to go off solo straight after qualifying. With a float rating, particularly in some of the more hostile areas where floats are typically used there are plenty of opportunities for coming unstuck with the costs involved recovering the aircraft often being significant.

I am really not wishing to put you off, just worth going into with eyes wide open.

Edited to add - I would agree with Bose, yachting skills will stand you in very good stead, perhaps even more especially dinghy sailing and racing. If you have raced a dinghy on lakes you will know that the wind might be coming in one direction in the forecast and quite another on the lake, you will understand what can cause the wind to bend and you will know the signs to look out for that enable you to identify whether a gust is coming through and you are about to be headed. You will also have a feel for the effect the wind will have on the aircraft when it becomes just like a rudderless dinghy. I reckon a windsurfer or a Fireball sailor would make a very good float pilot, at least when it comes to landing and coming ashore. Anyone remember the Bose in the earlier days of skiffs and 505s at Felixstow Ferry.