PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Flying Trg System - How good
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2002, 09:17
Barn Doors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All the talk above is sound.

I'd like to offer my own perspective if I may?

The Hawk, albeit a little antiquated now, was more about teaching the main problems of FJ flying......that of prioritisation. What I mean is, if you don't prioritise, you'll run into trouble very very quickly indeed. As far as the glass cockpit debate is concerned, I agree! We are in the business of training guys/girls to fly front-line aircraft with relatively hi-tech kit. It is to the disadvantage of someone coming from the venerable Hawk T1 to a Harrier etc; compared to someone from NFTC with all that gucci LRG, MFD, blah kit experience. So, we need a training system that duly reflects the next stage of training. Glass cockpits, information management are paving the way ahead (just ask BAe how hard they're working on fusion!) Let us give our pilots the best possible opportunity.

I found it an additional challenge to master the HOTAS issue on top of the other pressures involved with an OCU, so pull fingers out and invest in a system that'll make us envious to the rest of the World. We have a second-to-none level of instruction, we just need a platform of equal credibility!

BD