PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Opportunity with start-up in Hawaii - NZ company
Old 11th Mar 2010, 08:04
hikoushi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello!

Just wanted to chime in here and give you a little information to help you out if you are still considering spending your money on this position. I have lived in Honolulu for 15 years and spent most of it flying.

1. I've never heard of this operation; no advertising, nothing. Nobody I've asked has heard of it either.

2. 2 piston twin-based operations have shut down here in the last few years, one a failed startup and one a well-respected and established company.

4. The competition in the interisland market is FIERCE. Historically many have tried and failed, many more will. Over the last 5 years we just saw the loss of one MAJOR airline, Aloha, in major part due to an upstart with bad intentions and deep pockets (who is still here); followed by the entry and subsequent failure of an well-financed upstart flying Embraer 170s; recently the major downsizing of 3 turboprop operators.

5. An upstart interisland carrier without HUGE cash reserves, a large fleet of large, efficient aircraft (Q400s, Ejets, 717s, etc), and a dose of insanity does not stand a chance. Even then it's dodgy.

Even if the operation is legitimate (....), it is a gamble to assume it will be around for very long. There is very little hiring here now (lots of good aviation people on the street without jobs), and probably won't be again for a while.

Whatever your choice, good luck to you wherever your career takes you.

Hikoushi

Last edited by hikoushi; 11th Mar 2010 at 08:20.