PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QR's Caring Sharing Management
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2010, 03:20
wakbaralwaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captain Oryx

I'll gladly respond to the question at the end of your post....
"Can you name one airline that is currently hiring pilots that would allow you to do all the items mentioned in the manner you see fit?"
No of course not, I would not expect any self-respecting airline to allow this, past or present. (BTW what is the relevance of the currently hiring aspect?).
The key point that I was making is that the manner and tone that QR uses to communicate with the pilots (and other staff to be fair) is nothing short of appalling. I stand by my original assertion that it does indeed underline the spiteful and contemptuous attitude on the part of our management, much of which is reflected behaviour from the very top.

With communication, tone and presentation is everything, - perception matters and for me (and I suspect a great deal of others) the tone throughout is abysmal and frankly demoralising. Each of those FCNs had fair points to make but surely even you would agree that there is a (far) better way? Over to you...

Lets go back to the rostering issue. You do agree that this is a 'bit of an overreaction'. That's putting it mildly. However, lets get the commuting notion out of the way here - that is not my axe at all, albeit it is for some. The key point here is that one pilot made a bid for a large block of DOs. The system gave him 3x the blocks he requested which was clearly ridiculous, but was quickly corrected and he was left with the original requested block. For whatever reason he was hauled up, along with his fleet manager, to floor 9 and pilloried for something that was not his fault. The rest is history. Unless the policy changes (I doubt it), three DOs in a row is the max you will ever get. But it goes further that that.... you will not get any more than the minimum required as per the rules of OM-A Ch7. Thus if there is no more work for you in a particular month after you min DOs are allocated all the rest will be filled with SBY. It is not uncommon for 20+ pilots in a rank/ fleet to be on SBY on a particular day. The other grim practice is allocating a (say) 1200-2300 SBY prior to your DOs - they have no intention of calling you but it stuffs you completely.

Whatever way you add this up it's frankly madness and demonstrates the spite mentioned before. You can easily extract 900 annual hours, 75 per month from the majority of pilots whilst allocating DOs in a more useful/ sympathetic manner (to the pilot). Its a win win situation. Pilots have all manner of reasons for wanting to come and go from Doha and commuting is not really an option for the majority (too far), however as long as you are back and rested before you next duty what is the problem with pilots using their multi-exit permits and ID90 privileges to travel on their DOs?

To QREscape Plan and EFC 3 days: I couldn't agree with your posts more... feel free to PM me.

Wakbar