PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stapleford Flight centre
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2010, 21:06
tigermagicjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Muddy Boots" First of all, how can you compare PPL with CPL training, the question here was for commercial training.
I had to do my PPL retraining at Stapelford, due to expired license, and I found them excellent and honest, they did not make me fly more than I required.
Another thing you fail to mention, landing there is not ideal, but it's free, you have a VORDME on the airfield. I did not fly C152, because I don't like them, the PA28 for PPL training looked a bit tired, but did what it said on the can.

For the CPL they use other aircraft, and it is another setup. Yes they might not pussyfoot around you, and you might need to take and show some own initiative, what I appreciated the most, was that because they are fair busy, they are not just looking to milk the most possible hours out of you.
As anything else, a flying school is a business, but it seems to be a well run business, and at a fair/decent price. I am sure there are others, sure your decision for going there instead of Oxford must have been hard, approx. £50.000 difference!!!

If I wanted I could have blown my money on Oxford, but I did not even consider it for one second, because for that extra money I rather have it for a rainy day or a TR if required.

Now to know what gossip the staff talks about there, yourself you have to be a little but gossip too, to stand with long ears and listen. It's an open plan office, what you expect, them to go in the backroom to do their job.

I know not all are as friendly, specially when you make them wait 3 hours extra because you got back from a late flight, after closing time as I did once, overall they are friendly enough for my liking, and anyway I am not there to make friends with them either.

I know of plenty of PPL students who never turn up on time, dont prepare themselves or just simply do not have good enough airmanship or flying skills, there are many factors to consider. View it from the other side too. Nobody knows how flexible you was for training either, what instructors was available, bad weather etc. I could go almost anytime, so was never a problem for me.

And the Airfield, is not the worst I have seen, could be worse. I havent said hey to Colin either, how you expect that, school is busy, that is good, means many people are happy and passing, nobody forces anyone to go there. You probably only see Colin for your check ride CPL/IR - and from what I have heard - better not expect to many smiles, however he is not there to be our friend, he is there to judge if you are good enough to get your license.

Stapelford, 8 of 10, but then again, who would get 10???