PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any happy souls out there?
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2010, 15:09
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought this thread was worth reviving.

Have just had a week off with a cold and blocked ears, and couldn’t wait to get back to work. Today was my first day back; up at 03:20, on the road at 04:00 and smiling to myself because I’m off to go flying. Took off from Gatwick just after dawn and climbed through a thin overcast into a gorgeous clear blue sky. Once across the Channel there wasn’t a cloud to be seen, fabulous views of Flanders, the Ardennes and on towards the Ruhr. Gaze out of the window and have a “they’re paying me for this” moment. Two cups of bad coffee later, and with every diversion airport wide open CAVOK, we land at Dusseldorf. Beautiful conditions, wind 10 knots straight down the strip (it was the captain’s sector, naturally).

Back home again after a quick breakfast, my go. Again, stunning views across the Low Countries, just that thin layer of cloud covering the South East UK. Continuous descent, visual with 08R at Gatwick around 8 miles, disconnect and manage to fly the ILS smoother than the autopilot (not difficult, it has to be said). Slight crosswind from the left, nail the flight director, minimal power changes, arrive at the touchdown zone at the right speed, right rate of descent, aircraft lined up nicely on the centreline, left wing down a bit, good pitch attitude, and . . . BANG. Plant the bloody thing. As usual. Still, there’s no such thing as a perfect day.

I love this job – I mean, really love it. XX621, I think from time to time all of us have needed the assurance that you’re seeking. The journey to the right hand seat is long and arduous, and can be extremely costly, both financially and emotionally. You wouldn’t be human if you didn’t wonder every now and then whether it’s all worth it. Several times I came close to giving up, and resigning myself to a safe but boring ‘career’ in London, but I’m so glad I didn’t.

Was it worth all the effort and expense and sacrifices? You bet. In spite of all the downsides and cautionary tales (and JB007 sums it up perfectly with two words – luck and timing) it’s much more than a job to me, more a way of life.