PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vikings to West Africa
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2010, 15:08
Duns-Scotus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, well, well!! Small world...

It happens that I knew Willie Boyd pretty well. Indeed, every once in a while I'm still in touch with him, believe it or not. We were in the same class at primary school. And, just as with Georgeablelovehowindia (who obviously has just as big a fondness for Argonauts as I have!) in the next post, his dad, Sandy Boyd, was my doctor too. My own dad was a lecturer at the university. I well recall how Sandy Boyd spent every afternoon in life, it seemed, on the golf course in Achimota. Now I know who he was playing with!

My folks persisted with Ghana a little longer than most, but in late 1964 moved to Lagos (and into the VC10 era). At least I had a chance to try out the Ghana Airways CV-990A service...

It looks as though you're a bit older than I am, but perhaps we knew each other, too? Maybe all three of us do. (The kilt in the Argonaut picture leads me to believe that like me and W.B., at least one of you is another member of the West African Scots mafia...) What a fortunate upbringing we all had. Living in such an ideal location so near to the airport seems to have affected all of us in a decidedly pro-aviation way. For my part, I write about it here and there. BTW, feel free to contact me offline.

I'll leave it there for now, lest I be accused of hijacking a thread that's supposed to be about the Viking...which, to my eternal sorrow, I never flew on. I used to love seeing those old Hunting-Clan Yorks, too, back in the early days.