PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 5
Thread: Aer Lingus - 5
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2010, 14:43
EI Premier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
230 Compulsory Cabin Crew Redundancies - The Human Factor

Being a regular passenger with Aer Lingus, I've also been a long time follower of this forum, that has charted the many ups and downs of the airline over time.

While an announcement regarding compulsory redundancies was inevitable given the majority rejection by IMPACT Cabin Crew members, let's just remember that not every member voted against the proposals and it is now quite likely that several of these staff members will lose their jobs.

Though there are many rejoicing at the decisive action taken by C Mueller, the human dimension of this should not be forgotten. How many would be as quick to rejoice, if it were your own jobs that were in severe risk of being lost?

Even more troubling, the latest news reports would suggest that all Cabin Managers will be made redundant almost immediately. While some people seem to think that EI Cabin Crew have it easy, these Cabin Managers are the top level ambassadors for the airline on Transatlantic flights & sometimes on flights in Europe. Having travelled to many parts of the world, I can solidly say that some of the EI Cabin Managers (who have 20 - 40 years of experience with the airline) and general Cabin Crew are simply the best, most enthuasiastic and attentive group of crew that I have come across, when compared with a multitude of other airlines. Yes there are some crew who don't give it everything or anything near to that level, but they are in the minority.

Speaking to various Cabin Managers in the past 12 months, Aer Lingus was already operating some flights to the United States without Cabin Managers. The latest news reports seem to suggest that the role of the Cabin Manager will no longer exist and that there may not even be an option for re-employment for these staff members.

RTÉ News: Aer Lingus crew to get minimum redundancy pay

Moreover, I am surprised at the RTE figure of 600 Hours per year, because I have been told by several Aer Lingus Cabin Crew over time that it is fact 900 Hours per annum. Regardless of the figure, let's not forget that while many of us are asleep, EI Cabin Crew are dealing with 300+ passengers at irregular hours coming back across the Atlantic, dealing with all kinds of possible issues, with transition through a multitude of time zones in only 36 hours or less. Crew working conditions have been reduced in the recent past, with the Galley being the rest area for crew on several aircraft, along with a removal of trays for food consumption during rest breaks etc.

While it may be positive to see a decisive move from the CEO of Aer Lingus, the outcome is far from positive. If the latest news reports are correct, then Aer Lingus will lose many staff members who have given a vast majority or even all of their working life to the company.

The Net effect on paper might look good in the medium term, but a great deal of damage will have been done, most especially to staff morale in the airline. Aer Lingus stands to lose many of it's most professional and sincere members of staff, who may not necessarily have rejected the proposals.

There is a heavy human factor to this story and my sincere sympathies rest firmly with all of those Aer Lingus staff members who are losing their jobs. If you have travelled with Aer Lingus many times and enjoyed the hospitality provided by these members of Cabin Crew, you will understand the true long term tragedy to today's announcement.