PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2010, 14:26
bearfoil

mm43

With respect, your last entry is perhaps rather too harsh on the 330 airframe. In recent years, given the sparse quantity of accidents to assess, one can come up with parallel impacts in which the Tail/Vertical stayed together. This presumes, of course that the speeds are reasonably accurate, as you quote: 100knots vertical, 50 knots horizontal. I believe these speeds are quite low, that the impact involved a great deal more energy than is commonly perceived.

Turkish. In a Stall, the 737 struck the turf Tail first, and the fuselage pancaked and separated into the sections you describe.

Colgan. Here, there is a strong parallel to 447's "impact". Stalled, pancaked, destroyed in subsequent fire.

DFW. Caught in shear, the 1011 hit tail first, broke up and burned

UAL 187. At 180 knots, the DC-10 hit in a "landing" aspect, broke up and burned.

Consider that all these a/c impacted in similar fashion. Tail first, with a velocity of >50 knots, and with varying vertical speed.

In all of the above, the Tail survived attached to the fuselage.

447's impact (as presumed) is not in itself radically different from others.

With a horizontal component, there would be some "bounce, skip" of the Tail, immediately reducing the full force of the vertical, iow, it hit at an angle.

Look at the mounting bed of the VS per 587. Singed but intact. This 300 hit nose first at high vertical acceleration, the VS/Rudder, and Fuselage underneath the VS were intact, though not attached.

447: I wouldn't discount the energy involved, it was almost certainly higher than proposed by BEA. "High vertical acceleration". As a conclusion, it is a poor one, it is a guess without fact, a statement w/o supporting evidence, unless one adds two guesses up to equal a "Finding". I will include Mr.Optimistic's point re: Compression/VS, it is a sound one.