PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A glimmer of hope maybe
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2010, 13:50
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The question is, are the jobs that are starting to appear, worth spending the money on the qualifications to do them? This industry has changed forever - for the worse - since old gits like me got into it even a decade ago. We're starting to see situations where experienced and decent pilots are getting told they're overqualified for jobs - because they want punters who are prepared to buy an absurdly inflated price type rating, and then work for free or pay-to-fly.

Now the lo-cos and the beancounter-run-airlines totally dominate the aviation landscape, they've had their taste of wannabe blood in the last couple years and they aren't going to give it up without kicking and screaming no matter HOW much of an experienced pilot shortfall comes to pass.

And now I start to see the likes of Easyjet (which used to be a decent outfit to work for) handing off even their "experienced" pilot recruitment to CTC and this garbage flexi crew contract thing, that looks to be the next level of pilot shafting starting to take shape, where even people with good experience on modern jets also get the piss taken on new-wannabe T&C's by some shady agency whose executives are creaming countless thousands for doing nothing. Agency jobs are supposed to be for dodgy far flung third world flea pits - not for the likes of Easy and Ryan to drive down T&C's in their own back yards. Korean Air and their associated agencies are now doing pay-for-command schemes, and I'd give it not long before the first one of those rears its head in a European lo-co as well.

I'm glad I'm out of the European scene forever, I'll go back to working on the farm before I sign up to any of that horsesh!t and if I was a European wannabe now I'd be taking a looooong hard look in the mirror, I just can't see an end to the perpetual paying-for-qualifications and general shafting, at ANY stage of a pilot's career now.