PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB Report: Glass cockpits have not led to expected safety improvements
Old 10th Mar 2010, 13:32
protectthehornet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO, I'm not 411A. I think he flew the L1011.

W2k...good for you. your choice is a wise one and I think the PA28 series (if properly maintained) is a superior choice in airplanes to that other thing.

I am reminded of a tragic crash of a citationjet owned and operated by a very wealthy tech woman. I am also reminded of so many techy guys in silicon valley who wanted to learn to fly in the early 80's...I was instructing in the heart of silicon valley then.

They all kept on saying: I can get a computer to do this...

I said: what happens when the computer breaks down (how many times have I had to reboot/restart this morning already!!!)

I think FLYING should be very hard to learn. I think things should get harder, more demanding and not easier. I do think certain improvements in information availaility are fine. It is just a certain thing that Ernest K. Gann hinted at in his great book, "Fate is the Hunter". It started out as : A Whore is easy to meet. Some first landings in a DC3 easy, some in a DC2 had the crash wagons coming. Glass is easy, until it fails.

AS pilots, we must never just be sitting there watching things happen. Sadly, glass cockpits can (not always mind you) lead to just coming along for the ride.

its just like the guy who use to climb four flights of stairs to get to a store. THEN THEY installed an escalator and he rode up...he became flabby and the day the escalator broke, he had to climb the stairs and it was too tough.

I still remember a checkride for a check flying company (remember those?) I had to do an NDB aproach on partial panel...no attitude gyro, no directional gyro...it makes an impression on you for life.