PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Opening turbine oil cans properly?
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2010, 11:43
Saint Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opening Turbine Oil Cans Properly?

'oil additive' - Probably not, but it does seem that we attended the same school.

'dodo56' - My practice of shaking a can of oil before opening it goes back some 40 years to the time I got a smack on the back of the head from my first Chief Engineer (in commercial aviation) for not doing so when doing an oil change. He explained the bit about additives settling in the bottom of the can and it made perfect sense to me. I've been doing and teaching it ever since. Perhaps back then the oil we were using did require this procedure and perhaps modern oils don't - but old habits die hard don't they.

Actually, I have seen it written somewhere (shaking the can) but can't quite put my finger on it at the moment. If I come across it I'll come back to this thread. Can anyone help with this?

"...I'm also surprised at the assertion that engine failure have been traced to oil can debris". Please read my second paragragh again - carefully. The remark (not really an 'assertion') referred to oil systems - not engines. When I wrote this I had helicopter drive-trains in mind, apologies for the confusion. I am aware of a number of occasions where a helicopter transmission, gearbox etc. has been rejected for metal contamination traced to oil can material - you're going to have to believe me on this one. Neverthelees, I suppose this has occurred with an engine sometime, somewhere.

This 'metal can' material contamination is substantiated by my memory of a Technical Memo issued by Bristow Helicopters many, many years ago highlighting that 'metal can' debris had been found in oil systems and cautioning engineers about improper can opening. It was this same Technical Memo that recommended the use of beer can opener. For those not sure what a 'beer can opener' is, they're the second and third items from the left in Dodo56's picture.

'Dr Illitout' - "....I don't think that any metal particals that you might introduce into the oil will be anything to worry about. The filters will catch them anyway." No comment, but please don't ever come to me asking for a job.

'BigJoeRice' - ".... which is why they have oil filters". Ditto.