PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety pilot's?
Thread: Safety pilot's?
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2010, 09:54
Awyrennwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most public air transport Beech 200 operators in the UK operate single pilot and most normally carry a pilots assistant/safety pilot as part of the flight crew. The King Air 200 is a sinlge pilot aircraft under 5700kg and is not turbo jet, so a PA does not need to be qualified or carried. For those reasons the rating is officially a BE90/99/100/200 class rating not type rating. Somehow there are operators in the UK flying the King Air 350 single pilot public air transport, not sure how they manage to do that legally!

To the best of my knowledge there are 4 operators in the UK operating the King Air 200 Multi pilot; BAe Systems (Private), Flight Precision (Aerial Work), GAMA Scottish Air Ambulance (Multi Crew AOC), and DragonFly/Executive Aviation Services Ltd (Multi Crew AOC).

I have flown for both Multi Pilot and Single Pilot King Air 200 operators.
The single pilot operators ops manual is for single pilot operation with or without pilots assistant, even with 2 fully qualified crew only p1 can log the flying as it is a single pilot operation with no right hand seat OPC or multicrew SOP's.
The multipilot operators ops manual specifies a minimum of 2 fully qualfied crew so the co-pilot is fully rated & right hand seat OPC'd, the SOP's are multicrew and the flying is logged multi crew by both pilots.

To answer Wodka's original question, yes there is PA work out there, mainly un-paid, the easiest to get into will be with private operators if you can get to know the owner/operator there is PA work out there on private single pilot aircraft i.e PC12's, King Air's, CJ's etc... it's all about who you know, so get networking.