PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Annoying RT
Thread: Annoying RT
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2010, 09:04
Capt Pit Bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fully Ready

As per usual on these kinds of threads, the issue of "Fully Ready" raises its head. The reason this comes about is because standard RT doesn't cover the situation when start delays are long and tugs are limited and you get this situation:

1. Can't have a tug because you aren't in the queue.
2. Can't be in the queue because you can't declare yourself ready.
3. Can't declare yourself ready because you don't have a tug.
1. Can't get a tug because... [repeat ad infinitum]

The only way to break the loop is to say something 'non-standard' or just lie.

I can either say "Ready" and wait for the sarcastic comment from the tower "oh is your tug invisible" or some such bollocks. Or I can say "Ready apart from a tug" in the sure and certain knowledge that the denizens of this forum are at risk of a stroke as their collective blood pressure ratchets up before shooting "well, you aren't ready then are you". Or I can call "Please can I be in the queue for start even though I am not strictly ready because you know and I know start is 45 mins away and if you let me in the queue I can then go on the list for tug which will certainly be less time than that". At which point ATC usually agree... and then ask me to report "fully" ready.

The point being that whilst precise RT use is highly desireable, pro-words are there to be our servants, not our masters. In the case of start clearance, the vocabulary is deficient and is overdue for a rewrite. In the mean time grin and bear it or start taking some valium 'cos I swear some of you guys sound ready to have a stroke.

pb