PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poll: BALPA's Performance - Vote
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2010, 07:33
jumpjet7

4Star

I don't have any answers really just observations. Pilots are stable extraverts which probably means our personality traits appear to an outsider as very confident, selfish type A personalities. Not naturally carers and sharers.

I'm lucky to have worked for a good operator for 23 years with one of the best company councils. We have always attracted quality characters onto the cc maybe because it's an alternative career path for some. Thats great as long as you have a large enough gene pool and a company that rosters the cc time to negotiate, although most time is donated at the council members expense.

My company has been stable for many decades with long periods of time to command, excepting the last credit fuelled few years which has seen quick commands followed by redundency. Traditionally we accepted jobs knowing of time to command. This has led to many taking roles in management, training and cc duties prior to command. Instant gratification being replaced by the long game. I believe this culture has led to an enviroment where we look after each other. Not perfect at times but nearly five decades of industry leading conditions.

Currently we are enduring a war of attrition with managment, our only credible defence comes from the cc who are holding out. How you get an effective cc into every company I have no idea. It does seem big Balpa is ineffective with smaller or newish companies. Going back a few decades directors were ex, or current Balpa members. How times change.