PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Britannia
Thread: The Britannia
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2010, 23:02
Bus429

Pilots' Pal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Brit really got me stuck into aviation...

Well, I'm sure I mentioned this in a similar thread a few years ago but...
My introduction to aircraft maintenance came about because of Air Faisal and the Brit. They operated live and dead cargo out of Bombay to the ME in the mid-70s and the crews/maintenance guys stayed at a hotel close to my home (we were ex-pats). Regular trips to the airport ensued and I learned - or so I thought - about iso-speedic switches, HP/LP cocks (I got to start the engines, too), prop computers etc. A friendly FE soon had me on an overnight flight to Dubai and back (thanks, Eddie) and I had quite a few after that.
A few months later I moved back to the UK and started to work for Air Faisal's maintenance organisation at Luton. Less happy times, to be honest but I did have a long adventure to Bombay and back before I left to join AEL/MAEL in 1978. I've done the prop hold, too!
Still got to work on Brits: Redcoat, Afrek, African Safari, Aer Turas, Katale, Gemini (Geminair?) and Cubana stick in the mind; a mixture of 253s and 312s.
Who the hell designed the torqumeter installation? One continuous run of capillary from the firewall to cockpit (but it would have been difficult to do otherwise with an instrument and sensor of that nature).