PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust and Speed
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2010, 15:02
bfisk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This doesn't make any sense to me either. For one; the flight regime is not specified, secondly, the angle of incidence is (normally) fixed.

He might have meant something like this (my italic inserts): "If you wish to increase speed of an aircraft andyou do not want to, or are able to increase thrust, you must move the stick forward instead.

That last portion doesn't make any sense to me. The angle of incidence is the angle between the chord line of the wing and the fuselage/aircraft longitudinal axis, and has nothing to do with speed. He may be confusing this with angle of attack, though; since drag varies with angle of attack, so does the speed (or, more correctly, longitudinal acceleration). Also, with a change of angle of attack, everything else being the same, a change in load factor will occur. This will normally lend itself to the exchange between potential and kinetic energy, ie altitude and speed.

Some prefer to control the aircraft speed with pitch rather than power (thrust) at low speed (the "back side of the power curve") due to the natural speed instability at these speeds. That might also be where he's going.

edit: reading your question again, I see that you might be asking about power and pitch in a stall. If that is the case, your statement makes more sense. When an aircraft stalls, yes, it is important to set full thrust as soon as possible, but very few aircraft will be able to "power" themselves out of the stall. The first reaction, and the most vital action, is to lower the nose (really, lower the angle of attack) to regain lift. Power application is only vital to recover from a low-speed (and possibly low-altitude) regime to normal flight, but power in itself does not get you out of the stall (unless you're flying some kind of rocket!)