PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Converting JAA Frozen ATPL to Transport Canada Licence
Old 9th Mar 2010, 12:54
flyinuphi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting JAA Frozen ATPL to Transport Canada Licence

Hi,

I have tried to scout around and source this information myself from other forums but either I'm blind or ignorant or both but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I have a JAA frozen ATPL with an MCC course with only around 250 hours TT. I have dual nationality British/Canadian and due to lack of prospects here in the UK of finding work would like to try my luck hour building anywhere that would take me in Canada. I was wondering the steps required to go through in converting. There is a wealth of information to convert to JAA but not so much for the other way around.

As I understand it the UK class 1 medical is sufficient but I must complete the Canadian theory tests (3 exams SAMRA SARON INRAT) and a flight test. As there is no such thing as a "frozen ATPL" in Canada as such, what does the flight test entail? I am guessing demonstration of emergency handling and ability to fly procedural and non procedural approaches. Also does being on an integrated course make a difference - i.e. letters and reports from flight school?

I have checked out the Transport Canada website but still it all seems quite confusing. If anyone has done this I'd really appreciate some pointing in the right direction. I understand the Canadian market is probably just as scarce for employment but I feel it's always good to keep those options open.

If anyone has any success stories of doing this and finding low time work I'd love to hear from you. Unfortunately securing that first job seems to be so who you know not what you know....