PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mach overspeed 737-800
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2010, 12:25
InChina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, thanks again for the replies. Some of them are very interesting and helpful indeed.
Someone asked what cost index we were using, it was 30 but I don't think that has any effect on this particular scenario as we were in Vnav path not speed mode.

As for the information I entered into the FMC it was in the forecast page, just the airfield temperature deviation and QNH. I didn't enter any winds, the reason I asked what effect the wind would have was because in the ten seconds before we exceeded Mmo the tailwind component increased by 20 knots. I was wondering what effect that would have had on the aircraft flightpath while it was trying to slow the rate of descent and therefore stop the increasing speed, I'm thinking that contributed to the over-speed, but some replies hinted it would contribute, some said it wouldn't so I'm still not sure??? Any more thoughts?

I've checked the QAR and there was no large temperature change accompanying the wind change, so the increase in Mach number due to temperature can be ruled out in this case, but its very interesting information, thanks for posting it.

Northbeach your comments about this company were spot on, are you sure you don't also work here?
Sometime last year an aircraft in this company had a tail-strike, and as pilots most of us still don't know the exact circumstances regarding it. The local pilots in the company were actually enjoying themselves and laughing about it, the punishment and pointing out the mistakes/misfortune of others rather than asking the pilots what happened and learning from it so it could be avoided in the future. Instead the pilot leaders seem to enjoy imposing unless punishment.

As for this situation the behaviour of Vnav descent,I'll put my hand up, it caught me by surprise and its one of the reasons I posted here to try and get some more information. Its not a mode I've used much, I have more than 1500 hours on the 737 all at this company and I can truthfully say I've used it less than ten times and I've certainly not had any guidance or training regarding this. Sim training at this company is more to do with aircraft handling than operational level training. I can happily disengage the auto flight and flight directors and fly manually from 10,000 feet, we are allowed to do it regularly. In the sim we practice things like pilot incapacitated with an engine failure, but we certainly do not do any training regarding CRM or something that would have prepared me better for the Vnav behaviour. Most of this type of “training” is done by myself using the Boeing manuals etc. Also remember no SOP's at this company.

With regards to this case the airline safety board is reviewing the decision and hopefully it will be overturned. The captain I was flying with that day is a senior captain in this company and I've recently been told the chief pilot pushed the initial decision through for “political” reasons. Then two days after the chief pilot pushed our punishment through he took off with no flaps so it will be interesting to see what happens in his case. Anyway I've moved way off the point of my post...................