PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2010, 11:58
Meikleour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst all the issues about control laws etc. have been most interesting - after my 39 years in the airline business why has not more been made of the human factors issues with this incident?

Clearly the captain has at all times a `duty of care` to the passengers which requires a matching of the best skills available on the flight-deck to handling of the more critical situations. Thus, given the experience disparity within the crew, why did the captain even think it was a good idea to have the F/O flying what was obviously a very critical approach. Leave aside company policies of encouraging skill development for F/O `s this has to be seen as a severe lapse in judgement or at worst an overconfident belief in his personal skill to `retrieve` situations?

My second concern was why did the crew not consider the more into wind non-precision runway from the outset? I believe the weather allowed successful approaches to both runways. This is especially relevant given that any gusts would have veered and increased the crosswind component on the ILS runway. Was this point really not considered by the captain?

All in all, to be discussing obscure aspects of the control laws when the incident could so easily have been avoided by the application of common airmanship is premature.