PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 7
Thread: Ryanair - 7
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2010, 08:41
Based

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being caught out with a boarding card issue or never booking with Ryanair again are personal passenger circumstances that have absolutely no connection to my point that you have fallen into the trap of believing the Ryanair spin you complain about. If you don’t print your own boarding card, Ryanair will charge you €40 to reissue it (except when you’ve been affected by something like the current snow disruption in Girona for example), no spin involved. Ryanair would be me more than happy for you to stand by your "contention that the hasty decision to axe those nine routes was indeed a kneejerk reaction" when in fact the reality is that these nine routes were part of an overall review of UK routes last summer which, given that the majority of them are currently not available from Liverpool, East Midlands or Leeds either, don’t appear to have been feasible without additional discounts from MAG.

Agree with it or not, Ryanair’s general policy is to drop routes that are not profitable within 6 months. In the words of Michael Cawley “The cost for opening a route is low. So we don’t bother trying to analyse the living daylights out of it, we have a look at the demographics, and then make a decision to do it – we accept that around 7-10% might not work but we don’t see this as a failure – we see it as 90% success. We leave routes if we don’t make sustainable profits after six months.”

In my opinion, DUB-MAN would also have had to be dropped to prove a kneejerk reaction. Bremen was one route which was actually switched to Liverpool, this route isn’t available from any other airport in the region suggesting that it did show potential and that Ryanair believed people would still travel to Liverpool if they did actually want to fly direct to Bremen - again this doesn’t really fit in with a kneejerk reaction theory.