PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final flight of VH-NGA
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2010, 05:38
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well said "puff" So true there is NOTHING that would make us (RFDS) go outside the rules of common sense to save someone. A few of us 'lifers' (older guys) have experienced the sadness that someone didn't make it probably because we couldn't do the task due Wx for Eg. The chopper boys do an amazing job but even they stay on the grnd when it's really bad. We provide a service & a damn good one at that but it's not a 'death defying' service.

KLN I think yr fellow pears here have said enough re yr post. I won't add to it much other than to say we are all entitled to an opinion here even if you are somewhat harsh. The PIC was ultimately responsible for EVERYTHING that went on with this flight, the buck has to stop somewhere!.

Nothing stops a pilot from making decisions different to a Co's SOP's if he deems it necessary for the safe conduct of a flight once it's getting ugly. SOP's are great & needed but sheeeez they are a guide in some ways but they don't mean you leave yr brains at home!

Okay as has been mentioned flying out to an Is with only a single rwy is asking for trouble without an ALT. The WX aspect in this story is just one part of the possibilities that could go wrong on such a mission. RWY lighting could fail, disabled A/C on that single RWY making the AD U/S for Christ knows how long so having dodgy WX is only part of the overall risks. In this case the WX caught them out that's the crux of this whole thread what about next time? It doesn't end there.
There's a lot still unanswered here but what is fairly obvious to date is not enough fuel for contingencies was carried for whatever reason. Some poor decision making en-route re diverting was made or not made depending on how you look at it.

As has been said before what powerful force/s found this qualified pilot without options at the end of a flight that he thought would be okay from the outset? That's what I want to know. Don't forget this guy had been flying for 1000's of hrs prior to this event, most of us have right here so again simply how did he end up nearly dead along with 5 others?

More to come am sure.

Wmk2