PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Linux Corner
Thread: Linux Corner
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2010, 22:11
aerobelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to install "install_flash_player_10_linux.deb" downloaded from get.adobe dot com gives the message "Error: Wrong architecture 'i386'". Admitted, the CPU is AMD64 .. but that hasn't been a problem up to now. Is there a suitable alternative I haven't yet found?

You could install a 32-bit copy of Ubuntu, but that's a massive performance hit. To keep the native 64-bit system you need to do one of two things - install the "32-bit compatability libraries", or find a software repository that includes Flash and will therefore install the whatever libraries it need automagically through the software installer. On my Ubuntu 9.10 system "medibuntu" supplies the non-free/proprietary software andf they have lots of "flash" packages -- can't guarantee they include what you need, but it's a start. Another possible place to check is the Penguin Liberation Front. Google will find tutorials on adding extra repositories to your software installer.

In the Linux world there are some distributions that make it difficult to install proprietary software, as Flash is, and Ubuntu and all other Debian-derived distros are included. The most relaxed distribution that I know for installation of proprietary s/w is Mandriva.

'b