PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JFK ATC in the news...
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2010, 21:16
jfkjohan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stickyb wrote Yesterday 18:33:
"I can understand that neither the other pilot nor the kid is qualifed to generate the atc instruction, but is there a specific qualification required for relaying?"
I stand corrected however, to transmit you would need some sort of a radio license similar to the FROL (Flight Radio Operators License) in Australia. To relay instructions (which happens quite often when flying OCTA near terrain/mountains as the signals are line-of-sight), other aircraft (usually higher up and not blocked by these mountains) can relay instructions by the following/similar phrases "<callsign to be raised>, <callsign assisting" Relay for ATC, <passing on the ATC instruction>"

Of course, there are always procedures for lost-communications as well. Which for instrument (most/all) commercial/professional pilots flying RPT, the instructions are even on the departure/arrival plate(s). It actually says "If Lost Comms, Squawk 7600 etc etc etc....".

After all that is said & done, I am sure most others on this forum will agree as well, that the final responsiblity lies on the pilot-in-command. Lots of PICs as well work & live by tons of check & balances which include the phrase "don't let ATC crash your plane".

On a bigger picture, with the short staff at JFK, i'm for those who vote Glen Duffy get back at a job he most definitely does best, and have this whole fiasco made an example of worldwide so that it improves air-safety.

Regards,
@jfkjohan