PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryan Air pilots
Thread: Ryan Air pilots
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2010, 20:26
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hernando

Which bases are best and why?
Depends what you're after? Doesn't mean you'll get it.
What bases do most newbees ask for?
Generally the ones close to where they live.
What ones are popular?
Sunshine bases, bases close to where the majority of the population live, bases close to where you live, bases with a high demand for transfers in but a low demand for transfers out.
Which bases aren't popular?
Generally the base where they decide to send you, contrary to your request. With over 2000 pilots they don't, can't and won't accomodate everyone. Lady luck plays a big part. Countless Ryanair pilots (including myself) commute or 'jumpseat' for their 5 days of duty.
Is there such thing as a training base?
Larger bases like STN and DUB can be branded as training bases. However they are not officially labelled as such. In general more training may be conducted at these bases because there are more LTCs and the route network is more varied. However training can and is conducted at any base where there is a LTC. And the majority of bases have LTCs. When I was in training a few years back it was Pisa. Others I know went to Prestwick, Bergamo, Alicante and Hahn, along with the usual quota to Stansted and Dublin. It varies.
Do certain bases fly more hours than others?
Yes. There will be 41 bases by the end of June. Some will simply be busier than others. Some will have less FOs than others. Some will train more than others. The list of variables goes on and on. Again lady luck if you catch my drift.

Last edited by Callsign Kilo; 9th Mar 2010 at 13:10.