PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL Flight Test - Tips
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2010, 10:38
arnellis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found that for my CPL test I was much better prepared than the PPL test, i have heard that the tests are different than they were 2 1/2 years ago? Im sure an instructor can comment.

Tips.
Pre Flight prep, you will know the area quite well where you did your nav training. Google Earth is your friend, spend and hour or 2 looking at all the little towns and airfields, main roads, railways. Im sure you have some idea of where this nav is going to be going, if not ask around, chances are very good someone has a good idea of what the nav routes are.

Do your Clearoff checks or whatever cruise checks you have been taught and keep an accurate as possible fuel log/nav log. Questions magically appear such as "how much fuel do we have left?" and this seemed to occur in a high work load time.

If you know how to use them, Nav Aids are your friend, my ATO had no issue with me referencing to them as a second reference to my map reading. Just remember to identify and test them.

Just because the ATO is writting notes, dont assume there bad, although there will be some comments and suggestions at the end I found mine also had positive comments on the things you did well. If you do do something poorly, try to avoid getting stuck on it, just get it out of your head and remember the show must go on.

Remember to act professionally.

This advice was given to me, to have some magazines, chilled bottle water and chocolates in the plane for the ATO

Enjoy it, all said and done, its just another nav, with in most cases a random man/woman (I had never seen my ATO before), which is exactly what is going to happen when your flying charter, I found the ATO acted as much like a passenger as possible and passengers do ask some odd technical questions at times,

Hope those help and Good Luck although im sure you wont need it as Apache said, you would not have been put up for it if you were not ready! Im sure many more will have useful posts to add!