PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mach overspeed 737-800
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2010, 12:52
InChina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi thanks for the replies.
At this company we don't have any SOP so as a first officers we find ourself having to fly the way a particular captain wants, that means changing our flying style to suit the captain, landing with lots of power or no power depending on the captain, using Vnav/level change or VS depending on the captain. With this particular captain he likes Vnav so that's why it was selected as opposed to either level change or VS which I prefer....And before people say anything about CRM or pilot flying, if as first officers we don't do the flying as a particular captain wants, that captain will change the MCP mode so we have to fly the way he wants.
Anyway this is off the point, so please don't say how crazy that is, its just the way it is at this company.

What we are especially wondering is did we do anything against anything found in the Boeing manuals. Yes we know we made a bad judgement, but was the course of action actually wrong? Its my understanding that VNav should offer protection against busting Mmo. I know some people have said that that the Vnav protection is rubbish (and I now 100% agree with you) but as pilots have we actually done anything wrong by expecting the Vnav to offer protection?
As I stated we did spot the airspeed trend arrow increasing and we tried to correct accordingly. Again, our actions might not have been the best or as fast as needed, but were they actually wrong? The company are saying it's totally pilot error, nothing to do with the wind change and also that Vnav offers no protections at all.........
It should be noted that the time from noticing the airspeed trend arrow to busting the Mmo was 10 seconds, so in those 10 seconds when we were trying to slow the aircraft it was still accelerating.

Also we think the tail wind component increasing by 20 knots in such a short space of time was also a big factor and this is why the aircraft could not offer the Mmo protection.

You thoughts and comments please.... and I appreciate your constructive comments, +ive or -ive Thanks.