PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quite possibly one of the funniest things a passenger has ever said...
Old 7th Mar 2010, 12:10
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying for the RAAF VIP squadron in the Sixties. The VIP was Sir Robert Menzies - the Prime Minister at the time. It was his custom that on engine shut down at destination, he would always visit the cockpit and thank the captain for the trip.

On this occasion, I was F/O in the Convair 440 Metropolitan as we landed at Essendon from Canberra. Runway 35 in use -winds gusty northerlies. The captain was the Commanding Officer of the squadron who was a Wing Commander. This particular captain had a habit of floating the Convair down the runway to achieve a smooth touch down.

Over the fence for Essendon 35 a gust caused the Convair to balloon. The Wingco was caught high with power on and started to see-saw the stick to put the Convair on the runway. The aircraft floated past the control tower then fell out of the sky. It was a real bastard of a landing. The Wingco hauled full reverse and hit the brakes which resulted in galley cupboards flying open and bottles of wine, dishes, cakes and other catering goodies smashing all over the cabin floor making one hell of a liquid mess.

The Wingco was tight-lipped as we taxied to the VIP terminal towards the fleet of waiting Commonwealth cars. I said nothing, but privately thought you really stuffed that one,boss. The Convair came to a smooth almost imperceptible halt and after setting the park brake and cutting the engines, the Wingco opened his side window and placed the PM's flag in its holder so that it fluttered gaily in the northerly breeze. He then turned in his seat to await the Prime Minister's visit to the cockpit to say good-bye.

The cockpit door was opened by the RAAF steward, and the PM walked in. He didn't say the usual well mannered "thank you" this time. I remember he was wearing a trilby hat and overcoat and I could see his well known bushy black eyebrows under that hat. In a grave voice and with a hint of sarcasm he said "Thank you Wing Commander - we arrived safely, despite your efforts". With that, he turned and stepping across the galley area with its debris of broken glasses and wine bottles, made a dignified exit to his waiting limousine. The Wingco gave me a black look when he saw my grin. What he said to me was