PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Departure Segments
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2010, 10:43
john_tullamarine

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts
I dont work for an airline yet.

apologies for my needlessly harsh comments, then.

one of the feedback questions is What are the departure segments and do they apply on a go around two engined/one engined?

Short answer is "no" but you need to separate and address three considerations -

(a) procedures designers (the guys and gals who design instrument letdown procedures and draw the plates which we use in flight) are required to consider obstacle clear gradients and areas in the missed approach and, to this extent, one can talk about segments during the missed approach, or go-around but these have nothing to do with the takeoff segments. They are intended to provide for a reasonable terrain clearance but only for AEO missed approaches.

(b) if you mix a go-around with OEI, then you are on your own. Reputable operators will have developed specific procedures for difficult runways and these may well include the imposition of higher minima for a planned OEI approach .. what happens if you start AEO and then lose an engine below the higher minima ? .. tricky, and you need to have planned for this eventuality before committing to the approach. Depending on the terrain situation, it may move the decision making processes toward making that higher minima the general decision point - this certainly would be my approach to the problem.

(c) takeoff segments are built into the design and operating standards and are intended to address a presumed engine failure around V1

In my MCC training in an asymmetric go around, we applied go around thrust and at 1500 feet we lowered the nose a bit to pick up speed in order to retract the flaps and speed up to 210 knots.

That's fine for benign terrain runways .. but what was the consideration for a terrain critical runway ? Probably, I suggest, the MMC training addressed the basics with the expectation that the airline would, in due course, look to the details.

That was basically the same for when we had an engine failure after V1.
We climbed at v2+15 pos rate gear up - 400 feet hdg select - 1500 feet was flap retract alt so lowered the nose an soo on.....

Quite typical .. but the same caveat applies

I wanted to know if there was any specific ones for single engined go arounds

Short answer is "no" .. but you (and your operator) had better be thinking about what you are going to do during an OEI missed approach for a terrain critical runway ... or you might just end up dead .. sooner or later.