PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question for all ye, pilots and controllers...
Old 7th Mar 2010, 08:36
throw a dyce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember an episode that really summed some in upper management in CAD/ATMD.
Single rwy CLK,and a 747 departs blowing tyres and leaves bits of undercarrage all over the runway.The runway was closed to clear debris.Then it came back in,so same situation.Then they had to close it again for emergency repairs.So we had a hell of a backlog because it was now about midday.
I ended up in Tower co-ordinator,and luckily had a lot of experience with snow clearing,runway closures etc.I had everything sorted for re-opening in 15 minutes,when a local appeared in the Tower screaming,''Where's the Tower co-ordinator,bring them in, bring them in ''.All the other locals were hiding behind the desk.So I said are you looking for me.
''Bring them in '' he screamed.So I said if you bring them in,then they will just come straight back out the other side,because the runway is CLOSED for emergency repairs,and who the Fk are you:and just stared him right out.It was the boss of ATMD who I had never met.The was a long pause,and he said nothing,and just ran back down the stairs.One of my friends said he thought I was going to give him a Glasgow kiss. I heard later that this was a favourite trick of his in Kai Tak,but no-one had ever answered back.However he never appeared in CLK tower again because of the biggg loss of face.
He became big boss of CAD,probably retired now on a vast fortune.

One of the celtic dogs had a bite back.