PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QXC: Stapleford > Norwich > Southend
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2002, 12:34
FNG
Not so N, but still FG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The main thing to note with Norwich is that they like you to call them EARLY. They can get quite busy, especially when the fast jets are active from Coltishall. The ATCOs are fine. They may well give you an overhead join if you ask for it, but otherwise you are likely to be instructed to join on base. They quite often use right and left hand circuits simultaneously. KLM airliners use the field so NB wake turbulence. NB also that two of the runways are angled close together so the overhead join could be a good idea, to make sure that you have the right one.

On the ground the runways and taxiways go on for ever. You will eventually pick up a Marshaller who will direct you to a parking stand (and/or the Tower may give you a stand number) , and may even get a bus ride into the terminal. Fuel will come to you in a bowser if you want it. Drop your QXC assessment form off at the "C" point before going in for a cup of tea, and collect it before leaving when paying your landing fee and fuel bill. On the way out you will have to pass through security, so maybe take your medical cert or some other ID and say that you are "Crew of G-...."

As you probably already know, from Brentwood, you have a good run up past Chelmsford and Rivenhall to Sudbury (the disused airfield is a good marker, with a TV mast to the south for confirmation). Lakenheath will give you a squawk and good service (NB rapid American accented RT) if you carry on up through their MATZ to the racing circuit at Snetterton, from north of which the dual carriageway leads you to the big road junction south west of Norwich (leaving Old Buck on your right). From here you should be able to see the Cathedral, and probably the airfield north of the City.

The run between Norwich and Southend is fairly straightforward, with good features such as the tall mast at Talconeston (NB gliders at Tibenham) another mast west of Debenham, the railway to Ipswich, and Ipswich itself with its estuary and road bridge. When I did it (Duxford-Southend-Norwich-Duxford), I didn't bother with Harwich and went via Colchester and the Blackwater.

Enjoy the trip: most people do, after the first few minutes of nervouness. It is a highlight of the course. If the weather goes funny or you become at all uncertain, Lakenheath can find you on radar, and if it really starts to unravel, D&D would positively welcome your call.

Edit: I see that Rallye Driver replied whilst I was writing my reply, making many similar points. Glad that I'm not the only one to think that the runways can be confused!

Last edited by FNG; 10th Jul 2002 at 12:39.