PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QXC: Stapleford > Norwich > Southend
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2002, 12:27
Rallye Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did a similar route for my QXC, but went to Southend first, then up to Maldon and Ipswich.

Ipswich is big so it is hard to miss, it also has a large bridge which is a good landmark. At Ipswich I used a 010 VOR radial from Clacton (CLN), which took me direct to Norwich, routing east of Wattisham's MATZ.

Talk to Norwich as soon as you turn north. They have radar and will give you a good FIS, especially if gliders are active out of Tibenham, when it can get quite hectic. It's all green fields in that part of the country, so Diss is a good landmark on your left, as it has a railway, main roads, river and the disused airfield nearby at Eye.

The main runway at Norwich is east/west (09/27), so it is not that visible as you approach from the south. But you can see the cross runway (04/22), and it is easy to confuse it, and think that's where you land. They will route you to the west or east of the built up areas, depending on which runway is in use. (They do have a sheet with the approach routes marked which they may be able to fax you before you leave.)

They will probably park you at the eastern end of the main apron. The booking in point is at the western end of the terminal.

I used the Clacton VOR to route back as well (inbound on 190, then outbound on 250 back to Maldon to avoid the Danger Area, before intercepting the 260 LAM radial for home). Although it's pretty hard to get lost coming back south as you will eventually cross the big Harwich/Ipswich estuary, and be able to get your bearing there anyway.

If you are going to Southend, you could use a CLN radial to take you straight there.

Good luck with your QXC, it's a great feeling when you get back with your form all signed up!