PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is now a good time to train for 0 to frozen ATPL ?
Old 28th Jan 2002, 20:42
mattince

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm planning to get on the next available course at OAT in April - they've cut their courses to once every 3/4 months now!. I'm hoping that an OAT education will put me in a better position than others, although of course this isnot the only factor when applying for F/O positions!

I'd like to add to what Rta said about retirements. About a year ago, I made it through to the second round of the BA Cadetship interviews and we were told at the time that the airline was very concerned about the high levels of retirments that WILL take place - 250 per year, at least for the next 5 years! I think that's a staggering amount - or is it?

This was the whole reason behind BA recommencing their cadetship programme back in 1995/1996 and gives you some idea about how worried they were about the 'shortage' of pilots worldwide at the time.

I believe that, as what happened after the Gulf War, Americans will take about 2 years to start flying like they were before, whilst the rest of the World will take about a year or so.

Personally, I'd rather have worked very hard to achieve my commercial pilot license than have to sit in an office staring at my PC all day. It's the chance I'm willing to take - life's not a rehearsal!

Good luck guys & gals!