PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin recruiting soon...
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2010, 15:32
binsleepen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Swedish Virgin.

I certainly agree that the country should stop spending but I didn't for one moment say that we should close our borders or have a British jobs for British workers policy. That would be mad.

What I was trying to say was that as the pound depreciates against the euro it is only those who live in euro zone countries that feel that they are suffering a pay cut. Those who are paid in pounds and spend in pounds will feel no effect. If the pound continues to fall against the euro then there will come a point when those living in the euro zone will feel that the pay is not sufficient remuneration for the job. If there was a european shortage of pilots then UK based companies would have to raise wages to attract pilots from the euro zone.

At the moment though there is a large surplus of well qualified pilots in the eurozone and UK. Therefore if the pound continues to fall it may become unattractive to work for a British company if you live in europe but has no material effect on those living in the UK.

No one was advocating a pay cut but if you work for a company that pays wages in one currency but chose to live in a country that uses another then you have to expect currency fluctuations to be a part of the deal. I suspect those who get paid in euros but live in the UK are not to unhappy.

Some you win. Some you lose.

Regards