PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - a dodgy one
Thread: a dodgy one
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2002, 10:45
Chilli Monster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EA

You won't start an argument. You're just showing you don't fully understand how TCAS works. You've also answered your own question - A DIFFERENT RUNWAY. We're talking about same runway Ops, where the orbitting aircraft can be seen as a threat when it's flying towards the approach track on that part of the orbit.
I understand that Clutter on the screen could be a problem, seems pretty obvious, but although you say its controlled visually, I have been told to 'take the next right and contact ground' when I'm still on a 1 mile final
And your point is? At one mile you're still being controlled visually - this might come as a shock but we can see you on that one mile final. The idea of a Tower controller after all is to LOOK OUT OF THE WINDOW , not use radar (illegal in the UK). I actually think this instruction is poor controlling technique - what if you miss the turn off? UK procedures and instructions all have to be 'fail-safe'.

Maybe it might be worth learning how both sides of the atlantic work, rather than trying to answer UK questions with US answers?

I recommend SSR Operating Procedures for anyone flying in the UK.

CM